Archivo de la categoría: fan art

The Guardian

This is my last personal project based on a concept of the great Mikhail Rakhmatullin. Check out his work because he’s amazing.
Most of the modelling was made by my friend Joaquin Alme I modelled some stuff like the roots, branches, helmet etc. and basically did all the texturing, shading, lighting and the final comp.

You can take look at the final renders and some of the process.

This is the original concept from Mikhail:

The aim was to do an extremely detailed work on hand-painted texturing and push my skills as fas as possible with a pretty basic geometry in terms of shapes.

Some close-ups renders:

My main challenge in this project was trying to achieve and stylized look for the texture combined with realistic shading, aiming to do all the moss and vegetation without any xgen or hair/fur plug-in, just pure displacement and I’m pretty happy with the results.

I just designed three types of really basic and low-poly shapes for moss to be scattered manually over the corners and some areas using mash

The most fun part was painting every texture by hand, adding every layer of paint, rust and surface imperfections without any kind of procedural masks. At the end I did almost 80 texture for all the channels of the character combined in several UDIM. You can see some reduced samples of some textures from the arms, red moss and more next:

I did the renders with multiple AOV and tweaked them in a pretty basic final comp, adjusting saturation for each channel, color correction and so on

Finally, there’s some nodes used for the red moss shading

Hope you like it! It was pretty fun :)

Future-Verse

I worked on this personal project to explore and try new workflows and techniques and bring my own approach to what Sony did in «Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse». As many others, I felt in love with that movie. My friend Joaquin Alme modeled a cute low-poly Delorean some time ago and I just thought it would be fun to do some stuff mixing those two concepts and trying to keep the look and feel of Spider-Verse as a main reference.

Everything has been done using Maya, UV Layout, Arnold, Substance Painter, Photoshop and Nuke.

(Please, click on the images to see them at full size)

The next images are just for breakdown purposes

My main references from the movie, downloaded from animation screencaps and property of Sony Animation.

So, first of all, I just unwrapped the Uv’s and textured the car quickly. I usually only use Substance Painter for masking and baking in my worklfow, but in this case I didn’t want to spend much time on that. Don’t get me wrong, I love the software but in this project the focus will be shading and comp, substance is great, quick and easy.

Next, I just placed some blocks inside Maya as the basic city structure. My idea was to paint and project the whole city through the camera and don’t waste time on modeling to push up my painting skills.

Then, I lightened the scene in Arnold using around 15-20 lights. After rendering the car, the ground and the city separately, I saved the exr files with all the AOVs.

CryptoMaterial

In addition, a sample for the diffuse textured I painted for the ground and the shading mixing the road with some wet areas

Finally, I build a shader for the dots and lines comic patterns, using ramps, ai Range and UVTransforms to place the patterns through the camera and being affected by the lights in a different way

At the end, I composed all the AOV layers from the car, road and the city projection in nuke

Thanks for reading if you have been throughout the whole process! :)